Over the last few years, I have found NUMEROUS complaints from smart, level headed students (and employees) who have been mislead by Kaplan University in one way or another. However, most of the “complaint” websites do not allow for users to provide contact information or the like, so people who have been screwed by the same place can never get in contact with each other and actually do something about it.
If you have been mislead by Kaplan (financial aid, quality of education, credits, accreditation etc.), please remember that there is hope, but it takes time and it takes communication!
I just got off the phone with an attorney who is also in contact with other former students and employees. He is, and has been, interested in hearing from others who have had problems with Kaplan. Please contact him right away so we can get this started! I withdrew in 2008 and it is now 2010 and I am TIRED of waiting when I KNOW that there are students being mislead by Kaplan every day. How many of you are on disability? How many ended up with student loans you can never pay back? How many of you? I am sick to my stomach just reading some of your stories, please lets do something about it instead of post on complaint websites!John W. Andrews, ESQ
Andrews Law Group, P.A.
3220 Henderson Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Before contacting him, it might be beneficial to sit down and formulate a time-line or summary of your issues with Kaplan. Then when you speak to him you can provide him with that summary and any supporting documentation for his review.
Just for reference, below are some of the things I have found online about Kaplan since withdrawing (which apparently has other functions and names besides Kaplan University). I wish I had found this information BEFORE enrolling!
- October 26, 2006 – Winbush v. Kaplan Higher Education – Nature of Suit: Civil Rights – Other Civil Rights
- March 26, 2007 – Welch v. Kaplan Higher Education Corporation – Nature of Suit: Real Property – Rent, Lease, and Ejectment
- April 16, 2007 – Gillespie v. Kaplan University – Nature of Suit: Civil Rights – Americans with Disabilities – Employment
- May 21, 2007 – Brown v. Kaplan University et al – Nature of Suit: Civil Rights – Other Civil Rights
- July 18, 2007 – Tovar v. Kaplan Higher Education Corp et al – Nature of Suit: Civil Rights – Employment
- September 25, 2007 – Gillespie v. Kaplan University – Nature of Suit: Civil Rights – Americans with Disabilities – Employment
- March 17, 2008 – Diaz v. Kaplan University et al – Nature of Suit: Civil Rights – Employment
- April 17, 2008 – Coll v. Kaplan Higher Education Corporation et al – Nature of Suit: Civil Rights – Americans with Disabilities – Other
- May 12, 2008 – UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Plaintiff, ex rel. CARLOS URQUILLA-DIAZ, JUDE GILLESPIE, and BEN WILCOX, Relators, v. KAPLAN UNIVERSITY a/k/a Kaplan College a/k/a Iowa College Acquisition Corp; KAPLAN HIGHER EDUCATION CORPORATION, a division of Kaplan, Inc., wholly owned subsidiary of The Washington Post Company
- July 29, 2008 – UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ex rel. CARLOS URQUILLA-DIAZ, et al., Plaintiffs, v. KAPLAN UNIVERSITY et al., Defendants
- (unsure of date) Jude Gillespie, Esquire, Plaintiff, vs. United States Department of Education and Margaret Spellings, Defendant.
Blog – January 19, 2009 – Kaplan University is a scam!
[I am sure there are many more complaints posted here, but here are a few too many]
- Kaplan University Scam School! Boca Raton Florida (October 19, 2006)
- Kaplan University, Pinnacle ripoff trying to scam money need to contact a lawyer Davenport Iowa (October 23, 2006)
- Law And Justice Moster KAPLAN UNIVERSITY FRAUD CHEATS AND LIERS, DON’T ENROLL OR YOU’LL BE HAD AND SAD! Fort Lauderdale , Florida… Former Asst. Director of FA at Kaplan University – employed 6 years (May 21, 2007)
- Kaplan University Poor quality education Davenport Iowa (September 27, 2007)
- Kaplan University Flat out Theft Fort Lauderdale Florida (April 5, 2008)
- Kaplan University MISLEADING/MISREPRESENTATION Davenport Iowa (March 6, 2008)
- Kaplan University Read this before you enroll! Fort Lauderdale Florida (March 30, 2008)
Details, Information & History of “Kaplan”
- Kaplan University – Wikipedia
- Kaplan University – CollegeBoard, College Search
- Kaplan University General Information, Alumni, History, Campus, Students, Faculty, Address, and Tuition – StateUniversity.com [be sure to see the comments at the bottom]
- Kaplan Educational Foundation (Organization Lookup through http://www.melissadata.com)
- Kaplan, Inc. – Wikipedia
- Kaplan, Inc. – Answers.com
- Kaplan, Inc. – Wapedia
Kaplan University’s Default Rate:
Use the following database search to view Kaplan’s default rates for the following years:
2005 – 5.9
2006 – 9.2
2007 – 13.3
Anyone see a trend? Why is that? What is going on at Kaplan?
- April 26, 2005 – Kaplan University Selects Citibank to Provide Federal and Private Loans to Its Students
- May 13, 2007 – Student loan fraud investigation uncovers kickbacks to officials
- July 2, 2007 – Kaplan University is Ripping People Off by Grace Anne Harmony
- March 14, 2008 – Three Ex-Staffers Accuse Kaplan University of Wrongdoing
- March 23, 2008 – ITT Tech and Kaplan make headlines
- April 2, 2008 – Ex-Dean of Kaplan University Accused of Hacking
- May 30, 2008 – Justice Dept. Argues Against Dismissal of Lawsuit Challenging Kaplan U.
- June 1, 2010 – Placing the Blame as Students Are Buried in Debt by Ron Lieber
- Fraud of The College Scholarsip Fraud Prevention Act (Regarding Financial Aid Fraud)
- Kaplan Transforms Into Big Operator Of Trade Schools (n.d.) by Daniel Golden and Matthew Rose.